Studies show it takes 8-12 touchpoints to convert a prospect to a client, yet many salespeople give up after the first one or two. In today’s episode of The Sales Evangelist, Donald interviews Fractional CMO and digital marketing expert Daphne Thomson to learn her strategy for effective sales follow-ups and why you should revitalize your process.
First things first, the follow-up is more than just a phone call.
- A follow-up is the value you provide in that touchpoint, and it should be roughly 80% value and 20% sales.
- Because 60% of conversions occur only after the 12th touchpoint, you must have a system in place to ensure prospects regularly receive valuable messaging.
See the prospect as a person, not just a lead.
- The connection becomes much more powerful once you relate to them on a human level.
- Salespeople bring in the business, so you’re indirectly responsible for a large part of your team. Hopefully, that drives and motivates you to continue to follow up.
- To continue to add value to prospects throughout their touchpoints, make sure you place them in the funnel specific to the value they want.
- The majority of follow-up platforms are similar. She uses Zoho, ActiveCampaign, and MailChimp as follow-up systems, but there are many. So it really depends on your needs.
What should an organization do to establish a better follow-up system?
- Educate yourself. If you can learn these systems, you are educated and have power.
- For salespeople, perform a survey to ask people for reviews on platforms or your value messaging.
- When a salesperson comes to sell their product or service, ask them what platforms they use. Particularly for follow-up platforms, see if they even use their own.
- Remember, it’s not going to happen overnight. This is a process that requires consistency to make effective.
- If you’re worried about reaching out to people too many times, realize those people were likely not going to buy from you in the first place, especially if that’s the typical style for your company.
Final takeaway? Keep consistent. Remember that 60% of sales aren’t made until the 12th touchpoint, so keep at it. Visit www.catchthebeat.ca for a full webinar on the specific funnels you should create for optimal success. For more great content and information from Daphne, connect with her on LinkedIn, or find her on Facebook and Instagram (@daphnethomson2901.) She also hosts weekly small business shows on Clubhouse (@daffer.)
This episode is brought to you in part by Skipio.
Are you sick of crickets? As a salesperson, the pain of reaching out with phone calls or emails and not receiving a response is real.
But all text messaging is not created equal. 85% of people prefer text over email and phone calls because they want to engage in a conversation, not listen to bots. Be more like people and start having conversations that end in the conversions you want. Try Skipio at www.Skipio.com.
This course is brought to you in part by the TSE Sales Certified Training Program, designed to help new and struggling sellers master sales fundamentals and close more deals. Help elevate your sales game and sign up now to get the first two modules free! You can visit www.donaldk4.sg-host.com/closemoredeals or call (561) 570-5077 for more information. We value your opinion and always want to improve the quality of our show. Complete our two-minute survey here: donaldk4.sg-host.com/survey.
Read more about sales or listen to audiobooks on Audible and explore their huge online library. Register now to get a free book and a 30-day trial.