With more and more customers being educated on products and services, many are doing a large amount of research before they ever engage with the sales professional. This process allows them to make more informed decisions. A natural by-product of this process is the fact that customers are speaking with much more vendors to evaluate them to see if they have what they are looking for.
So what does this mean for you? Competition is getting stiff and you’re going to have to bring your A-Game. I’m sure your company has some procedures in place to remedy these types of situations, but are they working effectively for you? I have worked with companies that had nothing in place. I had to rely on the school of the hard knocks and it was not easy. This is why I decided to do this episode and offer what I’ve learned which increased my chances of coming off as the winning vendor. Here they are below:
- Be proactive and ask “What other vendors are you looking at for this project?” (We know they are looking already)
- Learn the criteria they’ve developed for the selection of a vendor or what elements they are looking for in a product
- Ask follow up questions to get to the root of the situation and ask if the criteria you’ve selected is a deal breaker or which ones can you live without?
- Offer a progress sheet or evaluation sheet to review vendors and their capabilities
- Stay in communication with them
- Ask them to look at your company again after they’ve peeked at the other competitors
This sounds very basic, but it works. The more I sell the more I realize that it’s not a complicated matter, we just try to complicate it. Keep it simple and you’ll see great results. Check out this episode and let me know if it helps you. As always, go out and do BIG THINGS!