One of the major challenge that many sellers are coming upon today is their over dependency on technology to gain more business, without any human interaction. Joanne Black is a sales trainer, consultant, speaker and an author who believes that technology is a powerful tool and should be used appropriately. But the key part of any sales transaction is the human interaction. This is why she wrote the book “Pick Up The Damn Phone”!
During this episode we discuss the reasons why so many people are electing NOT to pick up the phone and their outcome. This episode is not about cold calling either, because Joanne surely is against that! She dislikes cold calling so much that she even states it in the name of her business “No More Cold Calling” (Check it out). However, Joanne believes that picking up the phone allows us to connect as humans, gain more referrals and in turn win more deals.
Here are some of the major takeaways from our discussion:
- If you want to stand out, you can’t rely alone on technology. Use technology to learn about your prospect and to do research, but we must connect with people by PICKING UP THE PHONE!
- Use LinkedIn to begin the relationship with a prospect, use personal relationship to close the deal.
- The sales person is the ultimate sales technology. Even though prospects will do research, you as the seller know more and can be that trusted source.
- Companies need to coach their sales people how to have a conversation than to just give them a phone and expect them to make cold calls.
- There are more effective ways to connect with prospects than to just do a cold call.
- How do you get connected with the decision maker? You must ask!!!! Meet with people who are trusted advisors of those you are trying to get connected with.
- Tips from Joanne: “Stop Cold Calling”
- “Business is serious but people aren’t and we need to connect on a personal level” -Joanne Black
Are you getting proper referrals? Check out Joanne’s website and connect with her!
Phone Number: 415.461.8763 (Call After 8:30am Pacific Standard Time)
Listen to the FULL episode below!
MUSIC PROVIDED BY FREESFX