Today I have the opportunity of interviewing a good friend of mine, Charlie Perry. Charlie has had a very impressive career in the sales and marketing world. Spending a bulk of his time in the entertainment industry.
Charlie’s biggest sales challenge.
Charlie’s biggest sales challenge was when he came into a new company as a manger and realized that the sales and operations team did not have an effective process to acquiring and on boarding new clients. Charlie then went to work to fix this challenge. Here is how he did it:
- Meet with the group as a whole and learn what they thought was going on
- Individual interviews with team members to learn of their responsibilities
- Met with client and potential clients to learn what they want in a company like his
- Outline a process with campaigns to change the culture of the offices he was running
- They also implemented a process to learn why they won deals and lost deals
- Charlie focused on being “hard on the process” and “soft on the individuals”
- Everyone knew what they had to do and either did it or excused themselves.
Charlie also found out that every salesperson needed to be doing one of five things:
- Searching for prospects (Using whatever source they desired)
- Contacting those leads (Social media contact, email or picking up the phone and calling them)
- Help with the proposal process
- Assisting with the delivery of the product…in their case was putting on live shows
- Following up
The more you know about what you’re selling, the better chances you have of seeing success.
One of their smallest offices went from $3million to $6million per year in revenue. As a whole, the company’s revenue jumped from $25M to $60M by following an effect sales process.
Have a plan and work it!
Stay in touch with Charlie