One of the major challenges that I faced as a new seller was my over excitement for the products and services that I sold. As you can tell, I get pretty excited about things that I find valuable. The problem was whenever I met with someone, I was “that guy” who spoke way too much! As I matured and learned through the school of hard knocks/received training from other experienced sellers; I came to realize that too much excitement was not always a good thing in sales.
As one of my sales trainers said “I was showing up and throwing up”. Obviously I have since adjusted my errors and have seen dramatic improvements over time. So if you are not supposed to show up and throw up, what is a seller to do?
In this episode I share some of the best practices I have implemented to prevent “showing up and throwing up”. Here some of the major takeaways:
- Take the edge off of the clients by “setting the rule before you play”. Give them an opportunity to have an out before you get started.
- It is not about you! It is about the prospect and their needs. Do all you can to let them know that you are genuinely trying to learn about their needs to see if they are a fit or not.
- Play Colombo and don’t try to sound like a know it all. Ask probing questions that will give you an understanding about their business challenges. Use questions such as “Tell me more about that….”, “If I understand correct?” etc.
- Verify that you understand what they are expressing by summarizing it in an intelligent manner.
- Take effective notes that you can refer to.
- Practice your question asking with co-workers, so that you can be well prepared during a live situation.
- Become a consultative expert so that you know what questions to ask/gather to make an educated decision if they are a fit or not.
- After truly understanding their challenges, share how you can help them if at all possible.
- Ask, what will you like to do next? If done right, the prospect will sell themselves or tell you how to sell them.
Come and listen to the episode to learn more. I know you will enjoy it.
MUSIC PROVIDED BY FREESFX
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS