Statements of work (SOW). That is the one simple activity that can increase your post sales effectiveness and also help you tremendously in your prospecting efforts. I know, it sounds simple and is a basic activity but it’s the simple activities that will make the world of difference between the top performers and mediocre sellers. Why? The mediocre sellers think that things like doing an effective statement of works are beneath them.
They are not differentiated from the crowd and are seen just like all the other mediocre sellers out there in the eyes of clients and their colleagues. The top performing sellers, recognizes the value of the simple activities, implement them and are instantly differentiated from the pack. This is why I share the importance of the little value adds.
Here is the three main reasons I recommend this activity:
- Client Benefit:
- The client will know what they re getting and how it is going to help them overcome their pain. This will help to reduce the chances of discrepancy later on after the product, solution or service is completed.
- The statement of work sends a message that you listen to them, understand their challenge and precisely how to offer an effective solution.
- The statement of work may also be used by the client to present to boards why they are electing to invest in your solutions. It may offer a detail description of pain and the ROI the business can expect after the project is completed. This will make the client look like a hero to superiors, especially when your product or service delivers as you promised in the statement of work.
- Internal Benefit:
- Project managers and departments who offer the deliverable will know exactly what they need to deliver, how, when, why and to whom.
- It minimizes mistakes by other departments throughout your organization.
- Statement of works allows colleagues to build trust in your abilities and elevates you as professional. It shows that they you care and want to help their lives become easier because you are clear in your communications with them.
- Personal Benefit:
- Clients will hold you in a much more higher regards because your professional nature. This will increase your opportunity to receive referrals from clients.
- A statement of work will help you easily remember exactly what the clients challenges are and how you are offering them as a solution.
- The more detail you describe the challenges of the clients in the statement of work, the more easier it will be for you to speak to that pain to other similar prospects. It helps you to have concrete data that you can refer back to and positions you as the confident industry expert.
All in all, an effective statement of work will strengthen your relationship with clients, increase your post sales process with other key internal departments and arm you with data and metric to assist you’re prospecting efforts. It is a simple way that you cab differentiate yourself and be viewed as an effective sales professional.
As promised in the episode, here is a basic sample of my fist statement of work I provided for a client.
Sunshine County Public School-SAMPLE (Statement of Work Example)
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS