Sending emails is a prerequisite for sales professionals, but how do you generate emails that reach the right person at the right time in the right place? In this episode of The Sales Evangelist, Ryan O’Donnell will explain the psychology of emails and teach us how to create a more targeted approach to emails.
We don’t have a crystal ball, and we can’t tell what our prospects are thinking, so we can’t skip the important steps of prospecting and research.
Creating a targeted approach to emails:
- Use data to qualify or disqualify your existing prospects.
- Divide existing prospects and customers into segments and use those segments to create targeted communication.
- Use variety. Personalize some of your communication and automate others.
- Be intentional. High-value clients might motivate you to personalize more than smaller clients.
- Take note of effective emails that come to your inbox and employ the same strategies.
- Don’t allow your emails to become monotonous.
- Use each part of the email to drive the reader to the next sentence.
Different things motivate different people.
Sometimes a question in the subject line will work best. Other times, the company name or the recipient’s name will work.
Some people check email on Sundays to clean out their inboxes before the coming work week.
Track what works best so you can make your process more efficient. Streamlining your process will free up additional time, which will compound over the life of your career.
You’ll have more time to devote to other steps in the process.
Email mistakes to avoid:
- Don’t send an email with Re:Re:Re:Re: because it has been sent back and forth so many times. Change the subject line.
- Don’t use a deceptive subject line.
- Don’t automate your emails to go out at the same time on the same day every week. It will become obvious that they are automated.
If you’re interested in learning to use email more effectively but you aren’t sure where to start, contact Ryan O’Donnell at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Ryan will provide you free access to one month’s worth of services to give you a jump-start on emailing.
When I was a seller like you, I initially didn’t have formal training. Once I got proper training, I discovered that it greatly improved my sales skills, and I wanted to share those principles.
The Sales Evangelist Hustlers League is a group coaching program designed to help sellers of all levels improve their sales skills and close more deals. We’d love to have you join us. Go to thesalesevangelist.com/hustlers for more details.