During this episode, Emily Ann Peterson shares with us how she tackled her obstacles as a musician and how she used her creativity as an instrument to build her business.
Listen and learn how you can be creatively courageous as a salesperson as well.
HERE ARE THE HIGHLIGHTS OF MY CONVERSATION WITH EMILY:
HOW TO BE BRAVE AND STEP UP TO THE NEXT LEVEL
- Bravery starts really small. Oftentimes, you don’t see or acknowledge that that was bravery. Practice or enforce those mindsets and choices and they will become bigger.
- The bravery that you see in others is the result of years of building on it. You learn how to be brave as early as childhood if you foster an environment for it to be practiced.
- Your emotional well-being greatly affects your ability to close the sale. You are not your emotions. You can choose the way you’re feeling. Acknowledge which parts of your situation you can control.
HOW TO DEVELOP BRAVERY AS A SALES PROFESSIONAL
- You have to experience failure. Acknowledge important pieces of information, like why a client said “No.” Learn from those mistakes.
- If you just met a customer for the first time, start from ground zero. Listen to them. Don’t jam your product down their throat.
- Respect the boundaries that exist especially if they’re not your own.
HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO HAVE MENTORS
- Mentors encourage you and acknowledge your skills.
- Hold on to and access these pieces of encouragement every time you face rejection.
HOW SONGWRITERS AND ENTREPRENEURS ARE ALIKE
- Songwriters boil down a story to 3 minutes and bring a listener in from ground zero. It’s all about the story and the ability to communicate with the audience.
- Songwriters choose to leave out names, add extra colors of words or add textures of instruments to empower that story. You have to do the same thing as marketers and communicate to your market in an effective way.
EMILY’S MAJOR TAKEAWAY:
3 main ingredients of bravery
- Vulnerability – Start from a place of honesty. Acknowledge what’s at stake. Don’t hold those emotions back.
Barenaked Bravery: How to be Creatively Courageous by Emily Ann Peterson
Check out the TSE Hustler’s League.
Get a free audiobook download and a 30-day free trial at audibletrial.com/tse with over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player.