Today’s guest is Kathy Chiang and she shares with us some insights into understanding the voice of customers in your data and how you can take that data and help you make better decisions when it comes to selling.
Kathy works at Wunderman Data Management where she does marketing, real-time marketing analytics, and digital marketing for customers across the globe.
Here are the highlights of my conversation with Kathy:
Strategies for understanding the voice of your customer:
- Data capture and collection.
- Depending on the size of your business and your industry, be able to capture each transaction through the customer information and the record of the series of transactions they’ve done.
- Deliver the true help of one-to-one marketing that came up in the 80’s and the 90’s but the technology wasn’t there to support it.
- Be focused and targeted at your segment and your tools.
- Utilize social media to expand your market reach.
- Having an idea of your buyer personal and their characteristics allows you to use these platforms to target the same persona in a different market.
- Data visualization
Process your data and put it into data visualization which has now become more automated and easier to use. Get that data into a database and structure it so you can connect it to other systems across the organization. There are data visualization programs available such as Domo, Beckon, or Looker and pass them onto your database that can spot trends and even merging trends so you can try to get ahead of that.
How sellers can use data to sell better:
- Spot emerging trends sooner and see the growth trajectory of their products
- Try to not get swamped in all the data and be able to distinguish a signal from the noise.
- Learn how to put the qualitative, intuitive side of the business in the market.
- Risk is still there but it shortens the time of getting insights in terms of new trends and market opportunities.
- Just know where your customer is on. Segment your market in a way that you’re micro-targeting groups of people and deliver a message that speaks to them.
Kathy’s Major Takeaway:
Give your customers a seat in the business. Make them a part of your business. You think you know your customers want and then you end up forcing them. Close that loop by tapping into data and bringing that back into the process. Then give your customers voice in your business and you’ll get rewarded for it.
Check out Kathy’s book here, Monetizing Your Data
Join the TSE Hustler’s League.
Get a free audiobook download and a 30-day free trial at audibletrial.com/tse with over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player.
What do you like about our podcast? Kindly leave us some rating and/or review on iTunes. This would mean so much to me.