How would you handle a prospective client saying that the timing isn’t right for your product or service and that if they decide to take advantage of the opportunity at a later time, they will reach out to you?
A lot of customers may dictate to salespeople when they’re going to buy and how they’re going to buy. A question was posed to us in our Sales Evangelizers Facebook group asking how to handle this kind of situation. So I’m going to give you some thoughts and ideas to hopefully help you.
Qualification is key. Assess if the prospect is truly qualified and this can be done by having answers to these questions.
- Is there something your business can help them with? Do they have a particular challenge that you can help overcome?
- Do they have the money to be able to purchase or go forward?
- Am I speaking to the right person that could pull the trigger on this project?
- What is the timing that they have allotted? Is it something they want to do in 6 months or a year? Where are you going to put this prospect on your radar?
- What is it about the timing that is not right? If you’ve built enough relationships, people would be more than willing to tell you why it’s not right.
- When do you feel would be the best time?
- What would change from now to that best time?
- At this point, find out if there is another product/service that can be of assistance.
Get a free audiobook download and a 30-day free trial at audibletrial.com/tse with over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player.