If there’s one guy that has taught me the way of the door-to-door world, it’s definitely Todd Altom. It wasn’t something I would love to go back doing, but it definitely brought great learning experiences that ushered the way to many great opportunities in my life.
Based in the United States, Todd currently works for Gap Inc. where he helps run the kid’s business on the Old Navy brand in Canada.
Today, Todd shares with us how sales is paramount in our day-to day life, how we actually do sell in so many areas in our life, and some strategies you can take with you to help you become a better seller whether you’re selling a product or service or you’re selling yourself to get the salary that you want or win a date with your wife.
Here are the highlights of my conversation with Todd:
How sales has impacted his personal life:
- Sales is convincing someone to do something they wouldn’t have done otherwise
- Sales is applied to so many different areas in life. You always have to sell yourself.
- Salary negotiation
Selling strategies you can implement in your daily life:
- Do an option close.
- Don’t blurt out everything you know about whatever you’re trying to sell.
Sometimes it helps to not give too much out or it could overwhelm your clients. Use the information accordingly and sparingly as the client needs it.
- Don’t tell the price right away.
Bring up the price only when you’ve already built value and you’re ready to bring it up. Also, set a very unrealistic expectation when you’re dropping the price.
On salary negotiation:
- It’s easier to negotiate your salary when you first join a company than when you’re already within the company.
- Many companies want to pay you the least amount possible.
- Set a very unrealistic number (just like when you’re dropping a price when selling something) to shock them. You can say, “I’ve seen a company pay $150,000 for this job, but I’m willing to take $110,000.”
Connect with Todd on Twitter @tsaltom
Todd’s Major Takeaway:
Make sure to build a great relationship. Make sure to follow up to create more business.
Get a free audiobook download and a 30-day free trial at audibletrial.com/tse with over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player.