What makes the top ten percent of sellers different from the other ninety percent?
Listen to this episode of the Sales Evangelist podcast to find out. Donald sits down with Kristie Jones in this riveting episode to discuss strategies for excelling in the sales industry.
Kristie, an expert working with early-stage startups, shares her extensive experience in formalizing sales processes and managing hiring practices. This episode delves into the intricacies of selecting the correct sales role, leveraging one’s strengths, and the importance of personal development for career success.
Tune in and gain insightful advice on helping young sales professionals reach their full potential.
Choosing the Right Sales Role
- Kristie explains the motivation behind her book, addressing the common pitfall of entering unsuitable sales positions.
- She stresses the vital role of self-awareness in sales success, advocating for individuals to understand themselves before attempting to comprehend the prospect.
- Drawing parallels with sports, she discusses the significance of finding a perfect match in one’s sales career to reach their full potential.
Taking Ownership and Embracing Opportunities
- Amid the exploration of various sales approaches, Kristie emphasizes the necessity to take initiative and seek one’s own opportunities.
- Referencing sports icons like LeBron James and Novak Djokovic, she underscores the dedication and sacrifice required to achieve greatness, a principle applicable in both sports and sales.
The Path to Personal Growth and Career Advancement
- Kristie dives into the importance of evaluating whether a job shift aligns with one’s personal growth objectives.
- Her interview process focuses on qualifying candidates thoroughly to ensure job alignment with long-term career goals.
- Donald and Kristie share insights about the significance of career clarity and making intentional job transitions.
The Importance of Self-Care and Personal Development
- A key theme of the conversation is the prioritization of self-care and personal development by top performers.
- Kristie and Donald highlight how exercising, reading, and nurturing family relationships contribute to success.
- They contend that personal growth and understanding human psychology are critical in sales.
Identifying and Nurturing Your Sales Superpower
- Kristie talks about discovering one’s ‘sales superpower’—a unique ability that makes individuals stand out in their field.
- She shares her personal superpower and advises on identifying and refining these innate skills to thrive in sales.
- Donald and Kristie also analyze the traits that mark high-performing B2B sellers in enterprise environments.
Visualizing Success: Lessons from Athlete to Sales Expert
- As a former competitive racquetball player and current tennis enthusiast, Kristie expounds on the mental side of competitive sports.
- She discusses the role of visualization and positive affirmations in achieving excellence, drawing analogies with successful CEOs and athletes. This mental fortitude, she implies, is directly translatable to the discipline needed in the sales domain.
Kristie further discusses the importance of sales representatives building their foundational skills and sales leaders providing comprehensive training. Donald echoes this sentiment, encouraging listeners to seek continuous personal and professional growth.
For those wanting to dive deeper into Kristie’s sales philosophies, be on the lookout for her newest book. Sign up for the newsletter here, “Selling Your Way In: The Playbook for Setting Your Income and Owning Your Life.”
- This episode is brought to you in part by Hubspot.
With HubSpot sales hubs, your data tools and teams join a single platform to close deals and turn prospects into pipelines. Try it for yourself at hubspot.com/sales.
- This episode is brought to you in part by LinkedIn.
Are you tired of prospective clients not responding to your emails? Sign up for a free 60-day trial of LinkedIn Sales Navigator at linkedin.com/tse.
- This episode is brought to you in part by the TSE Sales Foundation.
Improve your connection on LinkedIn and land three or five appointments with our LinkedIn prospecting course. Go to the salesevangelist.com/linkedin.
As one of our podcast listeners, we value your opinion and always want to improve the quality of our show. Complete our two-minute survey here: thesalesevangelist.com/survey. We’d love for you to join us for our next episodes by tuning in on Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Stitcher, or Spotify. Audio provided by Free SFX, Soundstripe, and Bensound. Other songs used in the episodes are as follows: The Organ Grinder written by Bradley Jay Hill, performed by Bright Seed, and Produced by Brightseed and Hill.