Do you struggle with multithreading as a seller? Would you like a secret technique to help you develop relationships with decision-makers?
In this episode of “The Sales Evangelist Podcast,” host Donald Kelly speaks with Spencer Muhonen on the concept of multithreading in sales and shares strategies and tactics for effectively implementing it. They provide insights based on their experience in the industry, offering valuable tips for BDRs and sellers looking to improve their pipeline and build relationships with multiple stakeholders.
Who Is Spencer Muhonen?
- Spencer is a senior tenured SDR for Awardco, a SaaS company based in Provo, Utah, that focuses on employee recognition and incentives.
- He shares his role and highlights the importance of targeting traditional personas in prospecting, along with key internal champions in other departments to strengthen the case for sales.
Collaborating With the Sales Department
- Donald and Spencer emphasize the significance of multithreading in modern sales, as sellers must engage with multiple stakeholders throughout the buying journey.
- They caution against ineffective approaches, such as cheesy sales tactics or simply blasting outreach to a list of focus accounts without a thoughtful strategy.
- Spencer defines multithreading as expanding outreach beyond traditional personas and titles, reaching out to key decision-makers in various departments to build credibility and enhance the pipeline.
- He explains that sales departments can be excellent sources of internal champions, as people in sales are often looking to grow their own pipelines.
- Spencer highlights his willingness to have meetings with other sales professionals who approach him on LinkedIn, even knowing that he is not a decision-maker. This reciprocal approach can lead to strengthened relationships and mutual support.
Engaging With the Finance Department
- Donald and Spencer further discuss other effective multithreading strategies, such as contacting the finance department.
- Spencer emphasizes the importance of vendor managers and their oversight of profitability and contracts.
- By connecting with finance teams during the RFIs or RFPs process, sellers can build intrigue and gain intros to C-suite members. This approach is often overlooked but can yield significant benefits.
Personalizing Your Messages
- Both speakers address the issue of using the same message for multithreading prospects. Donald refers to it as “lazy selling” and asks Spencer for his approach.
- Spencer suggests personalizing the messaging, taking into account the specific context and pain points of each stakeholder.
- Sellers can build trust and make a stronger impact by tailoring outreach to individual needs.
Building Internal Brand Champions
- Throughout the conversation, Donald and Spencer provide actionable advice and share their experiences to guide sellers in implementing effective multithreading strategies.
- They underline the importance of building relationships beyond traditional personas, leveraging networks in sales departments and finance teams, and personalizing outreach to engage stakeholders more effectively.
This episode of “The TSE Podcast” offers valuable insights to BDRs and sellers on the art of multithreading in sales. By expanding their reach and building relationships with various stakeholders, sellers can enhance their pipeline and increase the chances of closing deals. Through personalization, collaboration, and a strategic approach, sellers can navigate the complex sales landscape successfully.
- This episode is brought to you in part by Hubspot.
With HubSpot sales hubs, your data tools and teams join a single platform to close deals and turn prospects into pipelines. Try it for yourself at hubspot.com/sales.
- This episode is brought to you in part by LinkedIn.
Are you tired of prospective clients not responding to your emails? Sign up for a free 60-day trial of LinkedIn Sales Navigator at linkedin.com/tse.
- This episode is brought to you in part by the TSE Sales Foundation.
Improve your connection on LinkedIn and land three or five appointments with our LinkedIn prospecting course. Go to the salesevangelist.com/linkedin.
As one of our podcast listeners, we value your opinion and always want to improve the quality of our show. Complete our two-minute survey here: thesalesevangelist.com/survey. We’d love for you to join us for our next episodes by tuning in on Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Stitcher, or Spotify. Audio provided by Free SFX, Soundstripe, and Bensound. Other songs used in the episodes are as follows: The Organ Grinder written by Bradley Jay Hill, performed by Bright Seed, and Produced by Brightseed and Hill.