Why do all presentations look and feel the same? Why does it feel like you have to leave your true self at the door and switch into ‘pitch mode’? Why isn’t there more storytelling? These are the big questions our guest Ravi Rajani sought to answer, and he packed this episode with so much of what he has learned. In this episode, your host Donald Kelly and Ravi Rajani get pumped about the art of telling exciting stories in a sales environment – and the energy is contagious!
Understanding “STORY” in a Sales Context
- S: Simplify story-selling: A simple, but powerful story can get attention, tug at emotions, and build trust.
- T: Tactically create your story bank: Include the right kinds of stories in your arsenal.
- O: Obtain delivery mastery: It’s not what you say, it’s how you say it.
- R: Ramp up your MVP story: Practice and fine-tune your story in low-stakes environments.
- Y: Yield long-term success: Over time, build up more stories to become second nature and conversational.
Write Great Sales Stories With The ACORNS Checklist
- A: Attention-grabbing: Be unpredictable to interrupt your buyer’s pattern of thinking.
- C: Contain a relatable person: A listener should be able to see themselves as your main character.
- O: Organically unfold: Keep story arcs simple and easy to follow.
- R: Reveal a villain: Stories with a “villain” have more tension, which gets your listener’s attention.
- N: Nurture trust: The story should be a larger part of building a business relationship over time.
- S: Should add business value: Stories should lead right into your hook, prospect impact, and CTA (call to action).
Using Stories to Incite Emotion
- Bring someone into the room. Rather than narrating, “This happened, then that happened…” Include dialogue.
- Rajani uses highly descriptive, sensory-focused language to pull listeners in.
DM Ravi Rajani on LinkedIn with the word “Donald” so he knows you heard about him here!
https://www.theravirajani.com/yourelevatorstory – FREE script for your Elevator Story
- This episode is brought to you in part by LinkedIn.
Are you struggling to close deals? Cold outreach wastes the buyer and seller’s time at every stage, especially when sellers are using shallow and outdated data.
- Your organization can overcome these challenges with technology that translates comprehensive, high-quality buyer data into real-time insights.
- These deeper insights empower sales reps and teams to adopt the habits of top performers, which leads to better outcomes – like more pipelines, higher win rates, and larger deals.
- We call this Deep Sale. And we’ve built the first deep sales platform with the next generation of LinkedIn Sales Navigator.
Try LinkedIn Sales Navigator and get a sixty-day free trial at linkedin.com/tse.
- This episode is brought to you in part by TSE Sales Foundation.
I think we can all agree that sales should be fun. However, many times, we find ourselves in a quagmire where we’re not progressing and deals are not going the way that they should. This is why we created TSE Sales Foundation. It’s a program designed to help sales professionals just like you master the fundamentals of sales so they can radically improve their sales pipeline and close more deals. To find out more about TSE Sales Foundation and our next start date, simply go to thesalesevangelist.com/foundation.