On today’s episode of The Sales Evangelist, Donald talks with Greg Nutter about three critical pillars of effective selling. Greg has been a consultant for 17 years and is the author of his book P3 Selling.
Three areas that B2B salespeople need to understand
- Understand the problem, influence the perception of those problems, and message back to those problems about how well their solution addresses it.
- Greg sees salespeople constantly talking about the product. Without the context of the problem, a customer wanting to solve any discussion around product features makes no sense.
- Businesses don’t buy products, they buy solutions to problems.
- How can you identify the problem? Ask questions to your customers.
- Understand who is impacted by those problems, their perspective, and their decision influence.
- Over the last 10 years, we have gone from 3 or 4 people involved in a B2B purchase, to 10 to 15. Try to understand everyone’s perspective so that you can message them.
- “The race doesn’t always go to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that’s how you bet.” If you cover more people you are more likely to win.
- Understand what the buying process looks like, where the prospect is in the process, and how you are positioned in that buying process.
- What matters most is what the prospect is doing. Are they looking for information? Do they understand the importance of making a change?
- An individual process is where an individual goes through their own steps to determine if they want to buy your product.
- The compliance process is when the subject matter experts are brought in to weigh in on whether or not it is a good decision.
- Understand what the process is and where the individuals are because that is what determines what you need to do to go to the next stage.
- Become an expert on the buying process to guide your customers and be a consultant.
Last piece of advice from Greg
- Become a problem solver, not a product pusher.
- To hear more from Greg, buy his book and connect with him on LinkedIn
This episode is brought to you in part by Skipio.
Are you sick of crickets? As a salesperson, the pain of reaching out with phone calls or emails and not receiving a response is real.
But all text messaging is not created equal. 85% of people prefer text over email and phone calls because they want to engage in a conversation, not listen to bots. Be more like people and start having conversations that end in the conversions you want. Try Skipio at www.Skipio.com.
This episode is brought to you in part by Scratchpad.
Are you tired of a digital workspace cluttered with notes, folders, files, and half-filled spreadsheets? (Not that we’re speaking from personal experience.) Luckily, we’ve found the solution.
Scratchpad is the first Revenue Team Workspace specifically designed to adapt to each salesperson’s workflow, so you don’t have to change your habits. Scratchpad creates a streamlined workflow that allows everyone to be a little more productive each day without the hassle of updating a database with whatever info you can find. Get Scratchpad free at Scratchpad.com.
As one of our podcast listeners, we value your opinion and always want to improve the quality of our show. Complete our two-minute survey here: thesalesevangelist.com/survey. We’d love for you to join us for our next episodes by tuning in on Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Stitcher, or Spotify. Audio provided by Free SFX, Soundstripe, and Bensound. Other songs used in the episodes are The Organ Grinder written by Bradley Jay Hill, performed by Bright Seed, and Produced by Brightseed and Hill.