In today’s episode, Donald is joined by executive coach Susie Tomenchok to learn how sales professionals can master the skill of negotiating without manipulating.
Negotiation isn’t manipulation:
- Incorporating negotiating strategies and techniques help you and your team reach its needs or goals and open the door for priorities to rearrange and be met.
- It’s not a winner/loser situation – negotiation should come from a place where you look to satisfy everyone.
- Low-stakes negotiation happens every day. Mastering negotiation is the key to developing long-term success.
- Conveying your interests isn’t manipulation – it’s telling your story to meet your needs.
Barriers to entering a high-stakes negotiation:
- PACE: Prepare – aware – close – evaluate
- Prepare, think at the moment, and be as objective as possible. Be aware of both your and the other party’s interests. Uncover relevant information to reach the close.
- If you don’t know what you want, how can you expect yourself to negotiate well?
- There are many pieces of leverage at play when in negotiation. Be cognizant of those levers to explore and realize what solution honors both parties.
Understand the solution from their perspective:
- Negotiating conveys interests and beliefs – it’s an opportunity to connect and learn to know, like and trust another person.
- As a seller, asking questions about the other party helps you learn more about them and why they’re not siding with you on the issue.
- Even if you know the answer, never make an assumption. Let the other party be heard.
Be intentional with silence:
- Practice what you say, and teach yourself not to ramble after speaking.
- Some people think of it as a game – just practice not talking, and you’ll grow more comfortable with it.
- We listen least actively to people we know. Practicing silence can interrupt that cadence and convey attention to the other party.
Susie’s final takeaway? Anchor ideas you want others to know early on to allow the other party to get their head around it. For more great content from Susie, visit her website for more information or connect with her on LinkedIn. You can find her book, The Art of Everyday Negotiation without Manipulation, on Amazon. (Visit negotiationlove.com for giveaways and other great content as well!)
This episode is brought to you in part by LinkedIn Sales Navigator.
The Great Resignation has become the Great Reshuffle, meaning it can be difficult for sales professionals like you to find leads and close deals. Luckily, Sales Navigator from LinkedIn is here for you!
Sales Navigator from LinkedIn is the only tool that uses real-time alerts and up-to-date insights to help you know when prospects are ready to buy. And, with over 30 advanced filters, sales professionals can quickly find genuine leads with the intent to purchase.
Gain the advantage of accurate, quality lead generation data from LinkedIn Sales Navigator. You can get a 60-day free trial of Sales Navigator at www.LinkedIn.com/TSE.
This episode is brought to you in part by Skipio.
Are you sick of crickets? As a salesperson, the pain of reaching out with phone calls or emails and not receiving a response is real.
But all text messaging is not created equal. 85% of people prefer text over email and phone calls because they want to engage in a conversation, not listen to bots. Be more like people and start having conversations that end in the conversions you want. Try Skipio at www.Skipio.com.
This episode is brought to you in part by Closers.io.
Closers.io helps sales reps land their dream remote sales gig, where they can set their own hours, work from anywhere, and make six or even multi-6 figures per year. That sure sounds good to us!
Committed to helping sales reps make a shift, Closers.io will place you in an available sales role that will increase your commissions and help you live the life you want. Apply for free now at go.closers.io/TSE.
This episode is brought to you in part by Scratchpad.
Are you tired of a digital workspace cluttered with notes, folders, files, and half-filled spreadsheets? (Not that we’re speaking from personal experience.) Luckily, we’ve found the solution.
Scratchpad is the first Revenue Team Workspace specifically designed to adapt to each salesperson’s workflow, so you don’t have to change your habits. Scratchpad creates a streamlined workflow that allows everyone to be a little more productive each day without the hassle of updating a database with whatever info you can find. Get Scratchpad free at Scratchpad.com.
As one of our podcast listeners, we value your opinion and always want to improve the quality of our show. Complete our two-minute survey here: thesalesevangelist.com/survey. We’d love for you to join us for our next episodes by tuning in on Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Stitcher, or Spotify. Audio provided by Free SFX, Soundstripe, and Bensound. Other songs used in the episodes are as follows: The Organ Grinder written by Bradley Jay Hill, performed by Bright Seed, and Produced by Brightseed and Hill.