Objections can strike fear into the hearts of salespeople everywhere. But what if there’s a simple formula to handle objections with confidence? In today’s episode of The Sales Evangelist, our guest Ryann Dowdy explains how we can integrate this sales strategy into our sales methodology.
Ryann’s feelings on objections:
- It’s about asking questions – focusing on the human to human connection, and seeing the value in that connection
- We think of a “closing problem,” but the “opening problem” can be just as essential to overcome.
- Help people get what they want by using information they’ve already shared.
Overcome objections from the beginning:
- It’s a simple philosophy: Jeb Blunt’s book Sales EQ explains that we have a physiological response (like increased heart rate) when someone raises an objection.
- When you get an objection, have a script to follow immediately after the objection to have time to collect yourself.
- For Ryann, she likes to empathize and understand more about the objection to determine where it’s coming from and how to handle it.
Asking questions indicates where to speak further:
- Strictly following a script reduces the human-to-human connection and might prevent you from understanding key information.
- A short post-objection script can be helpful, but think critically and have a loose framework ready to dial in on the prospect’s specific needs.
- When asking questions, don’t let your emotions take control. Take a breath before speaking to think. Often, the prospect will start talking instead and give you more information.
Make conversations based on humanity:
- If you focus on serving that prospect, you’ll strengthen the relationship and the trust alongside it.
- It takes practice to avoid taking objections personally. Remember, you and your job are two different things – you bring value and are worthy, regardless of people saying no to a product or service.
- The first time you sit in front of a buyer might not be the right time for the buyer – it’s all about how you handle the rejection.
Ryann’s major takeaway? Ask more questions and never assume you understand a prospect’s objection. For more content from Ryann, check out her book, The 100k Sales Method, on Amazon and connect with her on LinkedIn and Instagram.
This episode is brought to you in part by LinkedIn Sales Navigator.
The Great Resignation has become the Great Reshuffle, meaning it can be difficult for sales professionals like you to find leads and close deals. Luckily, Sales Navigator from LinkedIn is here for you!
Sales Navigator from LinkedIn is the only tool that uses real-time alerts and up-to-date insights to help you know when prospects are ready to buy. And, with over 30 advanced filters, sales professionals can quickly find genuine leads with the intent to purchase.
Gain the advantage of accurate, quality lead generation data from LinkedIn Sales Navigator. You can get a 60-day free trial of Sales Navigator at www.LinkedIn.com/TSE.
This episode is brought to you in part by Skipio.
Are you sick of crickets? As a salesperson, the pain of reaching out with phone calls or emails and not receiving a response is real.
But all text messaging is not created equal. 85% of people prefer text over email and phone calls because they want to engage in a conversation, not listen to bots. Be more like people and start having conversations that end in the conversions you want. Try Skipio at www.Skipio.com.
This episode is brought to you in part by Closers.io.
Closers.io helps sales reps land their dream remote sales gig, where they can set their own hours, work from anywhere, and make six or even multi-6 figures per year. That sure sounds good to us!
Committed to helping sales reps make a shift, Closers.io will place you in an available sales role that will increase your commissions and help you live the life you want. Apply for free now at go.closers.io/TSE.
This episode is brought to you in part by Scratchpad.
Are you tired of a digital workspace cluttered with notes, folders, files, and half-filled spreadsheets? (Not that we’re speaking from personal experience.) Luckily, we’ve found the solution.
Scratchpad is the first Revenue Team Workspace specifically designed to adapt to each salesperson’s workflow, so you don’t have to change your habits. Scratchpad creates a streamlined workflow that allows everyone to be a little more productive each day without the hassle of updating a database with whatever info you can find. Get Scratchpad free at Scratchpad.com.
This episode is brought to you in part by The Sales Evangelist Sales Training. Check out some of our upcoming programs designed to simplify selling and help b2b sellers consistently hit quota each month. Learn more here at ww.thesalesevangelist.com/upcoming-training or call 1-833-713-2343 for more information.
Read more about sales or listen to audiobooks on Audible and explore their huge online library. Register now to get a free book and a 30-day trial.
Audio provided by Free SFX, Soundstripe, and Bensound. Other songs used in the episodes are as follows: The Organ Grinder written by Bradley Jay Hill, performed by Bright Seed, and Produced by Brightseed and Hill.