For many salespeople, the journey to the decision maker is difficult enough that they don’t even know what to say once they get there! Do you have the strategy to move towards your desired outcome and close a deal? On today’s episode of The Sales Evangelist, Donald is joined by speaker, author, and coach Oscar Chavez to learn what to do once you’re over the guardwall.
Why is this method important?
- Salespeople spend time with less influential people because they are easier to interact with, yet that salesperson ends up spinning wheels with they don’t make decisions.
- Another common problem: when they get to the executive, they hyper-focus on the pitch.
The solution to these problems? Think over the guardwall.
- You spend time preparing what to say, but in actuality, you need to be in a position to listen.
- Listen as an executive explains their pain points, objectives, and KPIs. Once you understand those critical points, you then can go to non-decision makers and explain results that will directly benefit them and their organization.
- This familiarity will send you to the front of the queue over other projects.
Three Strategies to Get Past the Gatekeeper:
- Fear: People are so scared of judgement and rejection they don’t focus on targeting executives. It’s much easier to have a conversation with people downstream.
- Mindset: Meetings have never been easier to schedule due to the rise of virtual meetings, yet many salespeople will claim the opposite. A change in mentality could be all you need to add value. Leave the “what if” mindset behind.
- Focus: Oftentimes salespeople will mass contact non-decision makers rather than take the time to target the executives and people able to make decisions.
- People are more guarded and less willing to spend. But the salesperson’s level of fear, mindset, and focus can dramatically improve your chances.
Oscar’s final takeaway? Our beliefs determines our reality. If you aren’t getting the right sales performance, it’s because of the belief you have. To change your reality, change your beliefs.
Get in touch with him on his website oscar-chavez.com, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
This episode is brought to you in part by Skipio.
Are you sick of crickets? As a salesperson, the pain of reaching out with phone calls or emails and not receiving a response is real.
But all text messaging is not created equal. 85% of people prefer text over email and phone calls because they want to engage in a conversation, not listen to bots. Be more like people and start having conversations that end in the conversions you want. Try Skipio at www.Skipio.com.
This course is brought to you in part by the TSE Sales Certified Training Program, a course designed to help new and struggling sellers to master the fundamentals of sales and close more deals. Help elevate your sales game and sign up now to get the first two modules free! You can visit www.donaldk4.sg-host.com/closemoredeals or call (561) 570-5077 for more information. We value your opinion and always want to improve the quality of our show. Complete our two-minute survey here: donaldk4.sg-host.com/survey.
We’d love for you to join us for our next episodes, tune in on Apple Podcast, Stitcher, and Spotify. You can also leave comments, suggestions, and ratings for each episode you listen to!
Read more about sales or listen to audiobooks on Audible and explore their huge online library. Register now to get a free book and a 30-day trial.
Audio provided by Free SFX and Bensound. Other songs used in the episodes are as follows: The Organ Grinder written by Bradley Jay Hill, performed by Bright Seed, and Produced by Brightseed and Hill.