The resume is an integral part of the professional world. But while it does show off your prior work experience, it doesn’t show who you are as a person. What motivates you, or why are you applying for that specific job? Simon Tecle, VP of Sales at SyncroMSP, joins us on today’s episode to explain how you can tell your story at your next interview, sans resume, to begin the next step of your career with confidence and success.
The resume is not your story.
- A typical interview response is to admit, “I don’t have experience in x,y, or z.”
- Don’t let your resume be the anchor in your conversation, especially if you know you lack the experience to capitalize on it.
- The hiring manager already knows you have a lack of experience, and they wouldn’t be talking to you if that was a deal-breaker.
Why do we feel so tied to our resume experience?
- Because resumes are critical in the corporate world. However, stories convey key skills to a job we don’t put on our resume.
- Are you ex-military? Talk about your time management. Are you a parent? I bet you’ve mastered multitasking. Do you play sports? Talk about your will to win and competitive spirit.
Overcoming traditional interviews.
- If an interviewer is insistent on a resume-based interview, link line items from the job description to your personal stories.
- A quick tip – don’t agree with the interviewer if they mention a lack of experience.
- It isn’t about just answering the question; it’s about responding in a way that is best for you.
Simon’s other tips for sellers to remember for their next interview:
- Always have thoughtful questions at the end, and follow up immediately after the interview.
- Highlight skills and accomplishments that demonstrate both soft and hard skills related to the job description.
- Simon’s major takeaway? Apply to careers and jobs where you relate to the requirements of the role. Plain and simple.
This episode is brought to you in part by Skipio.
Are you sick of crickets? As a salesperson, the pain of reaching out with phone calls or emails and not receiving a response is real.
But all text messaging is not created equal. 85% of people prefer text over email and phone calls because they want to engage in a conversation, not listen to bots. Be more like people and start having conversations that end in the conversions you want. Try Skipio at www.Skipio.com.
This course is brought to you in part by the TSE Sales Certified Training Program, a course designed to help new and struggling sellers to master the fundamentals of sales and close more deals. Help elevate your sales game and sign up now to get the first two modules free! You can visit www.donaldk4.sg-host.com/closemoredeals or call (561) 570-5077 for more information. We value your opinion and always want to improve the quality of our show. Complete our two-minute survey here: donaldk4.sg-host.com/survey.
Read more about sales or listen to audiobooks on Audible and explore their huge online library. Register now to get a free book and a 30-day trial.
Audio provided by Free SFX and Bensound. Other songs used in the episodes are as follows: The Organ Grinder wrote by Bradley Jay Hill, performed by Bright Seed, and Produced by Brightseed and Hill.