[smart_track_player url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/thesalesevangelist/TSE_1446.mp3″ background=”blurred_logo”]
New sellers struggle to make sales because they lack the skill and experience to ask well-crafted questions and build rapport with their prospects. In this episode of The Sales Evangelist, guest Tony Morris tells us the five ways for new sellers to sell like pros.
As an author, podcaster, entrepreneur, and speaker for sales conferences worldwide, Tony knows how any beginner in the sales world can stand out.
Follow the 80/20 rule (but in the proper order)
- Sales reps should apply the 80/20 rule when talking to prospects: listen 80% of the time and speak 20% of the time. (We have two ears and one mouth, so use them in that order.)
- Many salespeople use the 80/20 rule, but reversed. Tony’s first tip for new sellers: talk less and listen more.
- When you encourage your prospect to talk more, you learn more about their needs and how you can help them.
Ask the right questions.
- What makes a bad question? Any question that prompts a one-word answer. These questions are impersonal and don’t provide insight into the prospect’s journey.
- Instead, ask what Tony calls the “killer questions:” questions that allow you to understand what the prospect is looking for, what they’ve seen in your competition, and how you can help.
- Sales managers should encourage their teams to ask open-ended questions. The goal is to hold a conversation, not an interrogation.
Treat people how they want to be treated.
- Remember the childhood The Golden Rule? Treat people how you want to be treated.
- In sales, throw that out the window. Follow the Platinum Rule: treat people how they want to be treated.
- You don’t respond to clients the same way every time because they all have different perspectives of what that looks like. Pay attention to how they want to be treated, and respond accordingly.
Be interested, not interesting.
- Top salespeople are genuinely curious and interested in their prospects. Your job is not to sell but to serve by helping them buy what is most appropriate to their needs.
- Genuine interest will transform regular customers into ambassadors who recommend you to their friends, family, and colleagues.
Be The Challenger
- The book The Challenger Sale: Taking Control of the Customer Conversation by Matthew Dixon challenged Tony’s perspective on sales.
- Tony initially thought sales to be about relationships. However, this book shows most successful salespeople share insights to make their prospects think differently.
Do the basics brilliantly.
- We over-complicate the sales process. The basics are pretty simple: schedule meetings, prepare questions to preempt objections, build rapport, understand problems, and develop solutions.
- For example, you need to offer multiple touchpoints. If they are a genuine prospect, connect with them on LinkedIn, comment on their post, send them articles of interest or a copy of your book.
- Once you know how to do things the right way, you’ll want to keep going. The more you get good results, the more these actions become habitual.
This episode is brought to you in part by Skipio.
Are you sick of crickets? As a salesperson, the pain of reaching out with phone calls or emails and not receiving a response is real.
But all text messaging is not created equal. 85% of people prefer text over email and phone calls because they want to engage in a conversation, not listen to bots. Be more like people and start having conversations that end in the conversions you want. Try Skipio at www.Skipio.com.
This episode is brought to you in part by NetHunt CRM.
NetHunt CRM is a sales automation tool that lives inside Gmail. It covers a full set of features to manage leads, nurture customer relations, monitor sales progress, and automate sales and marketing workflows. With native-like Gmail and G Suite integration, you can access your CRM data, launch bulk email campaigns, and set up automated sequences from the comfort of your inbox. NetHunt helps move leads down your sales funnel and never lets a valuable prospect go untouched.
NetHunt CRM offers TSE listeners a 40% discount for the first three months along with free user training and a dedicated Customer Success Manager with any pricing plan.
Try NetHunt CRM today at https://nethunt.com/tse.