In matters of diversity, salespeople can’t help but sometimes ask,’ Do Americans have racial bias with who they buy from?’
Kwame Christian has both a law and business background. He understands the issue of whether Americans have a bias from who they buy from, and he is doing bias training to help companies understand the importance of knowing humans on a deep fundamental level.
The existence of bias
- In truth, everybody has biases. It is a by-product of a naturally functioning brain.
- Bias doesn’t make you bad.
- It only becomes a problem if you are aware of your biases and you don’t do something about it.
- It’s important to raise awareness to help people make better decisions.
- Americans have biases with the way they buy. Salespeople need to determine what those biases are and create strategies to try to work around them.
- Biases cut both ways – there are positive biases and negative biases.
- You are more likely to know, like, and trust people who are like you and people who are represented frequently in the media.
- The reality is that regardless of race and color, we all share the same media representations repeatedly. It’s not only the Caucasians who would favor white people, but even some people of color also favor white people too.
Changing your perception
- The change has to start with self-awareness because you can’t do anything about any obstacle unless you know that it exists.
- As a salesperson of color, you need to be aware of the bias working against you. You need to learn how to tip the scale in your favor in terms of the positive bias.
- Salespeople of color need to be more mindful in creating unique opportunities to make positive touchpoints with the people they want to work with. Spend a little more time building rapport and making people feel comfortable. If a white salesperson allocated three minutes for pleasantries during a call, then a black salesperson needs to allocate seven minutes for pleasantries before moving to the business side of things.
- You need to make more effort at the beginning of the interaction to ensure that the person you are speaking with feels comfortable with who you are as a person and what you bring to the table before you transition to the other side of the dialogue.
- Once they recognize that you’re legit, that you have intelligent quantities and value, then pushing through the barriers will become easier.
- As a white buyer, you need to recognize how your bias impacts your decisions.
“Diversity: Do Americans Have Racial Bias With Who They Buy From” episode resources
Try Pipedrive today for FREE! As a TSE listener, PipeDrive is offering you an EXTENDED trial beyond the typical 30 days + 25% off your first three months after trial. Try it today at → https://pipedrive.live/tse use your code: pipedrivetse.
This episode is also partly brought to you by Wingman. Wingman uses AI-software to empower remote sales teams with conversation intelligence, actionable insights on successful playbooks, and delivers real-time coaching.
Are you sick of crickets? The pain of sales reps continually reaching out with phone calls and emails and not receiving a response is real.85% of people prefer text over email and phone calls because they want to engage in a conversation. All text messaging is not equal. Customers respond to people, NOT BOTS. Be more like people and start having conversations that end in conversions. Try Skipio at www.Skipio.com.
This course is brought to you in part by TSE Certified Sales Training Program. It’s a course designed to help new and struggling sellers to master the fundamentals of sales and close more deals. It will help them elevate their sales game. Sign up now and get the first two modules free! You can go and visit www.donaldk4.sg-host.com/closemoredeals also call us at (561) 570-5077. “We value your opinion and always want to improve the quality of our show. Complete our 2 mins survey here: donaldk4.sg-host.com/survey
We’d love for you to join us for our next episodes so tune in on Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Stitcher, and Spotify. You can also leave comments, suggestions, and ratings to every episode you listen to.
You can also read more about sales or listen to audiobooks on Audible and explore this huge online library. Register now to get a free book and a 30-day free trial.
Wath the video on YouTube: