Are you one of the many sales reps who suffer from imposter syndrome? If so, how can you keep imposter syndrome from destroying your cold-calling efforts? Join Donald as he talks about the subject.
Defining imposter syndrome
- Imposter syndrome is a psychological pattern where an individual doubts his/her own abilities to do something. This then prevents them from acting or doing what they’re supposed to do.
- One would usually feel the imposter syndrome when they’re doing a task that’s new to them. For example, if you are new to a selling marketing services role but you have very little experience in sales, you may feel overwhelmed when selling your services to large companies.
- You may feel like a fraud when speaking with Chief Marketing Officers and others.
- As mentioned, it’s a psychological pattern. It’s a way of thinking that you’re not capable of doing something and that you’ll always be seen as a fraud.
The truth about imposter syndrome
- Imposter syndrome is a belief.
- With imposter syndrome, your mind creates different situations. In truth, some of these made-up scenarios will happen to you in your sales journey. Not everyone whom you’re going to speak to will buy from you.
- Instead of looking at the people who will not buy from you, focus on the potential customers who will buy from you.
It’s a belief
- As much as you believe that you’re an imposter, it is better to believe in the opposite. Believe in yourself and believe that you have something good to offer.
- Look for ways to build your confidence One way to do that is to look at your past customers or the customers at your current company. Build your confidence and be excited about what you’re going to offer.
- You need to understand the problem or the pain of your customers to be able to articulate how you can potentially help them.
Recognize that not everyone is going to buy from you
- If you speak with 20 people, you can’t expect all these 20 people to buy from you.
- Remember that if somebody rejects you, it doesn’t mean that they’re doing so because you’re a fraud. They are rejecting the offer or the opportunity at the moment but they will likely change their mind the next time.
- Don’t give up just yet when you only used one approach. Don’t back out immediately.
Know that there are people who want what you offer
- Focus your attention on the people who want what you offer.
- Some people are not ready right now but there are others who are ready to take the plunge and jump with you.
- Pour your laser-focused attention on the people and organizations who are interested in your services.
- Don’t let the imposter syndrome hold you back.
- Here’s your assignment: Do 10 outreach activities. It may be doing calls, connecting on LinkedIn, sending outreach messages, etc. You will start seeing results from doing your outreach and this will help build your confidence.
- Follow this positive mantra: “This is a New Year. There are new opportunities and I’m going to get them.”
- Change your mindset and go out every single day doing big things.
“Prospecting: How to Keep Imposter Syndrome from Destroying your Cold-Calling Efforts” episode resources
Try Pipedrive today for FREE! As a TSE listener, PipeDrive is offering you an EXTENDED trial beyond the typical 30 days + 25% off your first three months after trial. Try it today at → https://pipedrive.live/tse use your code: pipedrivetse.
This episode is also partly brought to you by Wingman. Wingman uses AI-software to empower remote sales teams with conversation intelligence, actionable insights on successful playbooks, and delivers real-time coaching.
This course is brought to you in part by TSE Certified Sales Training Program. It’s a course designed to help new and struggling sellers to master the fundamentals of sales and close more deals. It will help them elevate their sales game. Sign up now and get the first two modules free! You can go and visit www.donaldk4.sg-host.com/closemoredeals also call us at (561) 570-5077. “We value your opinion and always want to improve the quality of our show. Complete our 2 mins survey here: donaldk4.sg-host.com/survey
We’d love for you to join us for our next episodes so tune in on Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Stitcher, and Spotify. You can also leave comments, suggestions, and ratings to every episode you listen to.
You can also read more about sales or listen to audiobooks on Audible and explore this huge online library. Register now to get a free book and a 30-day free trial.
Watch the video on YouTube: