This is the time of the year when sales professionals get themselves all prepped up to have a great second half. Today’s awesome guest is Jonathan Farrington who brings us a lot of great value, especially with our discussion today.
An international sales celebrity, Jonathan is the CEO and Founder of Top Sales World. He is also a keynote speaker, business coach, and mentor who has worked with over 100,000 sales professionals to improve their craft in sales.
Here are the highlights of my conversation with Jonathan:
Invest in a sales team
Why are only 40% of sales people on track for their quota?
- Reduction in the amount of companies investing in their sales teams
- The need for learning new selling techniques and selling styles regularly
Why invest money into a sales professional if they’re about to leave?
- No one will leave if they are well-compensated, given proper praise and recognition, and given proper responsibility
Learn the key motivators of each sales professional in your team
- Different people are motivated by different things – money, praise and recognition, a good relationship
- Achievement as the main motivating factor
The Formula of Successful Salespeople:
Successful salespeople are driven.
Most successful sales folks are incredibly competitive and they enjoy playing competitive sports.
Self-process gives that control.
Know your company, products, and yourself. Be multi-lingual. Be comfortable talking to recommenders, technical buyers, and all the way up to the C-level.
Why some people can’t perform…
- Poor sales team = poor sales manager
- Sales managers should always be coaching to improve their team’s skills.
Bonus tips from Jonathan:
- Surround yourself with people better than you.
- Accept responsibility for your development.
- Work with the mantra: “If it’s to be, it’s up to me.”
- Take advantage of available resources.
“There is no excuse for anyone not working hard to increase their education and improve their skill sets.” – Jonathan Farrington
Jonathan’s Major Takeaway:
- Be relevant. Only around 20% of salespeople worldwide are using social media. With social media, there is so much opportunity to gain access to your audience.
- Keep up-to-date with your existing accounts.
- You can still find new business from existing accounts.
- Customer retention and account management & planning are critical.
Get in touch with Jonathan through email at firstname.lastname@example.org