In today’s episode, Jimmy Burgess shares with us some loads of positivity and some great, awesome insights into being successful in sales by focusing on the right things, particularly, focusing on your customers.
Jimmy Burgess has been in sales and an entrepreneur his whole life. He started three different companies and has been in real estate sales most of his life. Currently, Jimmy is a contributing writer for Entrepreneur Magazine and also does coaching and consulting.
Listen as Jimmy shares the 6 Truths All Successful Salespeople Understand and how you can live out each one of them.
Here are the highlights of my conversation with Jimmy:
Jimmy quotes Zig Ziglar, “If you’ll just help enough other people get what they want, you can have everything that you want.”
Jimmy’s road to entrepreneurship:
- Got burned out in his sales position and took a job at a bank as a commercial lender
- Became a student of positivity and of people that had some successes
- Jimmy left the bank, put people together and started up his own business
How Jimmy initially handled his success:
- Within one year the salary he had at that bank became his monthly income on average.
- Within two years, it became his bi-monthly income.
- He lost focus on who he was and went from helping other people and just focused on himself
“When you think you’re going up fast, it can come down just as fast.”
How he handled his financial problem:
- Spent three years trying to play defense and figuring out how to fix things
- Reloaded himself with positivity again
- Began to take steps to come out of it and within a year, they had bounced back financially
“Understand if you’re in a struggle right now that there’s a reason for it.”
“You’re struggle hasn’t come to stay, it has come to pass. And I’m a living proof of that.”
The 6 Truths All Successful Salespeople Understand:
- If you control your morning, you control your day.
- Successful people have a morning ritual. Start your day in a positive way.
- Concentrate on 10-15 things that you’re thankful for
- Start your day mentally, spiritually, and physically in a positive way.
- Get yourself a pattern in the morning.
- Read books or listen to audio books
- Focus. It’s not about you. Focus on the needs and provide value.
- People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.
- Add as much value as you can to other people.
- Focus on what the true needs of your prospect are.
- Don’t sell the process, sell the end result.
- Give them what they need and you will get what you need.
- The main thing is the main thing.
- Find out the number one complaint for your particular area. You may set yourself apart from everybody else.
- The expert has an advantage.
- They may not even have the most knowledge but they become the experts in people’s eyes because perception is reality.
How do you become an expert?
- Write a book. Write for large websites.
- Start a blog or a podcast. Do videos.
- Set yourself up by producing some things.
- Build an email list as quickly as you can. (Mailchimp)
- Be an expert. Be different. Set some things up in a way that you have an advantage as the expert.
- People love being surprised.
- Surprise people. Do something different that people will appreciate. Be the noticer.
- A satisfied customer is number one.
- The best advertising is “word of mouth” and the way you get it is by satisfying your customers.
Jimmy’s Major Takeaway:
If you want different results than you’re getting now, do different things. Take massive action. Don’t just sit back and wait on things to happen. When you take massive action, you get massive results.
Current projects Jimmy is working on:
selfpublishingsuccessacademy.com – working with Kimanzi Contable in helping content creators and self-published authors get their content out there
Connect with Jimmy on Twitter @jimmyburgess8