In this episode I interview Lin Hart author of the book “Reginald F. Lewis Before TLC Beatrice….The Young Man Before The Billion-Dollar Empire”. Lin wrote this book focusing on a specific 10-year period of Reginald F. Lewis’ life. It was a period during which the two were particularly close and it is a period that received little coverage in his autobiography, “Why Should White Guys Have All The Fun.”
“During his lifetime, Reginald F. Lewis accumulated great wealth and arguably the richest African-American on the planet. This book is not about his wealth. It is about Reginald F. Lewis long before the wealth. It is about the challenges he faced during this 10-year period and the way in which he overcame them. It is about how he transformed himself from being ordinary to become extraordinary”-Lin Hart
I personally feel that the principles that Lin shares are very important to our lives as sales professionals and entrepreneurs. Here are some of the major take aways from my conversation with Lin:
- Don’t just talk, look for opportunities to do things.
- Reginald came from a humble background and was able to climb the tallest ladder and accomplish great things.
- Align yourself with great people because they will have an impact upon you.
- There are no straight lines to success. You will have to hustle.
- Most people are fearful of change because they are afraid of the outcome.
- Changes are never free and this is why some people don’t like changes.
- Success will come to you when you find something that you love to do so much, that you would do it for free. However, you get compensated for it.
- Understand your business at a granular level (deep dive). Always understand ALL THE DETAILS! The genius is the one who REALLY understands the details that most others do not or is not willing to understand.
- Knowing the details of why you are doing something will help you become confident.
- “The most impactful limitations you will face are the ones you will place on yourself” -Lin Hart
- Before you start selling something, you must start selling yourself.
Books Lin spoke about:
- “Why Should White Guys Have All The Fun”
- “Reginald F. Lewis Before TLC Beatrice….The Young Man Before The Billion-Dollar Empire”
Stay in contact with us: